Fair Use, First Sale and Related Technology Items
From Suffolk Software Licensing
What is "Use'
- Section 107 of the Copyright Act
- American Geophysical Union v. Texaco, 60 F.3d 913 (2d Cir. 1995)
- Sega v. Accolade, 977 F.2d 1510 (9th Cir. 1993)
- What is Decompilation
- What is a "Clean Room"
- Derivative Works
- Video Pipeline v. Buena Vista Home Entertainment, 342 F.3d 191 (3rd Cir. 2003)*Interoperability
- Lexmark International v. Static Control Components, 253 F.Supp.2d 943 (District Court Case)
- Lexmark International v. Static Control Components, 387 F.3d 522 (6th Cir. 2004))\
- Arizona Cartridge Remanufacturers Ass'n v. Lexmark International (9th Cir.)
- EU Interoperability rules
- Section 109 and Section 117 of the Copyright Act
- DSC Communications Corp. v. Pulse Communications, 170 F.3d 1354 (Fed. Cir. 1999)
- Adobe Systems, Inc. v. One Stop Micro, Inc., 84 F. Supp. 2d 1086 (N.D. Cal 2000)
- Central Point Software, Inc. v. Global Software & Accessories, Inc., 880 F. Supp. 957 (E.D.N.Y. 1995)
- See also: Vernor v. Autodesk for a recent case that almost deals with the issue of first sale in the context of downloaded software.